Click here to shop on Amazon

Monday, February 23, 2009

Children and chores

Children can do chores! Last week while reading this post by my friend Sheila of To Love Honor and Vacuum I found myself thinking about our boys


and how thankful my hubby and I are for them. They are so eager to help around the house. Though only 5 and 6 yrs old they have a list of chores on the fridge that they attack with eagerness most mornings.
They know their morning routine and they just do it (sometimes with a little reminder). You can find a sample of the boys’ morning routine in the left sidebar under HOME LIFE.

They alternate the chores. At the beginning of the next week I move the boy’s name that was on the lower section of the chart to the upper section and vice versa. That way they share in the types of chores equally.

They are responsible for sweeping the steps, mopping their bathroom, swiping their bathroom sink, swishing their toilet(I do the swiping of the toilet seat and tank-it could be perfectionism rearing its head here), water the plants, remove sheets and towels for washing and replace with clean towels, wipe the dining table after meals, scrub their shower floor while bathing, wipe the legs of the dining table and wipe the dining chairs(once a week), clean the doors(up to their height – also once a week), sort clothes for laundry(once a week). Here’s my 5yr old sorting clothes:

They also have to fold the clothes that were washed the previous day(I do the shirts, they do washcloths, towels, pants, pillowcases and underwears(not mine of course). I’ve taught them to do shirts and they can do sheets but I just figure it’s unfair to let them do everything right now. I like working alongside them or for them to see me doing my share of folding too.

They are solely responsible for tidying their room. Mommy does not come in and pick up after them. I sweep and mop their room, declutter and remove cobwebs but that's it. The 6yr old has swept before but like I said I do it because I like for them to see me doing my share to help them(until they get older, then they'll be doing it themselves).

My hubby has a saying that “children do what they are allowed to do”. In other words, if a parent allows kids from small to not do much then as they get bigger that will be the habit that they have. If a parent allows a kid from small to help and be responsible for age appropriate chores then as they get bigger that will be the habit they have.

Not too long ago when I was looking for what chores would be appropriate for their ages to make sure I was on track I found this excellent resource with chores listed by age groups. Here is the link to it: Chore List By Age. I hope you find it helpful.




2 comments:

  1. This is a great encouragement- my son is only 1, but we've discovered sort of by accident that he loves being a helper. Putting away groceries, shutting cupboard doors, even throwing away garbage makes him sooo happy! I'll refer to this list as he's able to handle bigger things- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this great post! My son is 2 1/2 and I was just trying to come up with some chores that he can do!

    ReplyDelete

Social Share

Disclosure

From time to time I receive a cash payment, gift or item of nominal value from a company affiliated with a brand, topic and/or product that is mentioned herein. (Disclosure link - http://cmp.ly/6/qik5q5)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Infolinks