Click here to shop on Amazon

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My budding chefs/Lettuce roll ups

Early last month the boys and I had a ball in the kitchen.

I needed to give them a mid-morning snack and wanted it to be a healthy one. I drew on the tips and knowledge gleaned from other moms on the web and realized that if they were involved in the process they would be more enthusiastic because they made it themselves.

Now something you have to know about my boys. They are not ones to whine and gripe and complain. They basically eat whatever we give them and they are also very into the healthy eating. But since they had never had that particular snack before I drew them into the kitchen with the words - "Boys, I have a surprise snack for you. You are going to make it yourselves." That alone got them excited - the words surprise and the idea that they were going to do it themselves.

My budding chefs thoroughly enjoyed themselves that day and when their father came home they boasted and proudly told him of all they did. I love being a mother and bringing joy to my children. It's a dream life.

Here are the pics from our day in the kitchen:

The first item - lettuce
The second item - tuna spread(I used Nasoya in place of the mayonnaise because we no longer eat cow's milk products):
The third item - diced cucumber:
The assembly:
Put the lettuce leaf on a plate:
Take some tuna spread:
Spread the tuna spread on the lettuce leaf:
Take some diced cucumber:
Put in on top of the tuna spread:
Roll it all up together:

And you have a lettuce roll up. Sorry but I missed taking a picture of the rolled up lettuce but here is an assembled one before it is rolled up. Yum-yum.

This is a wonderful snack for someone who wants to avoid the gluten in tortillas. You also have the power of the greens with the lettuce leaves. They want to try spreading some of my homemade cashew butter on the leaves and then topping it with bananas next time. Sounds yummy! Like I said budding chefs:)

Here are the two of them intently working on their craft:


Oh yes before I forget, I also gave them a few prunes to eat with their lettuce roll ups:



I hope you enjoyed the day in the kitchen with my budding chefs:)










5 comments:

  1. the boys are having fun eaching greens wow. Can't till i have kids it'll be great teaching divine nutrition!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Malachi,
    They do enjoy it. I'm sure you'll have fun teaching your kids when you have them - get married first of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds sooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh that looks GOOD!

    ReplyDelete

Social Share

Disclosure

From time to time I receive a cash payment, gift or item of nominal value from a company affiliated with a brand, topic and/or product that is mentioned herein. (Disclosure link - http://cmp.ly/6/qik5q5)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Infolinks