Click here to shop on Amazon

Monday, May 24, 2010

My Light Bulb Moment with Chinese Cabbage(Bok Choy)

Many months ago I went to the market to purchase some cabbage. At that time it was a scarce vegetable and so the prices were too high for my budget. One of the vendors introduced me to Chinese Cabbage and gave me hints on preparing it.

Then just recently we received a gift of Chinese cabbage from our new church. As usual I like to research the benefits of whatever the Lord blesses us with. I firmly believe that He gives us all we need when we need it. And of course when I find out I like to share. So here goes. But before I share I want to tell you about a light bulb moment I had about this Chinese cabbage.

After preparing the cabbage I wondered to myself if the Chinese cabbage that we received and the bok choy I had heard about and read about on the internet were related. I had never seen a picture of the bok choy before so it couldn't click before. I did a search for bok choy and lo and behold the picture that wikipedia had was the very same Chinese cabbage I had in my kitchen. I was like Wow! The very same thing. So I've been eating bok choy without knowing it. That was my light bulb moment.  Don't laugh - it felt good making that discovery. :)


Nutrition & Health Benefits Of Eating Bok Choy(Chinese Cabbage)

* Contains excellent amounts of beta-carotene which aids the body to reduce risk of certain cancers and cataracts.
* It is a rich source of vitamin D. Vitamin D helps the body to absorb calcium and phosphorus with the indirect result being that it helps in building stronger teeth and bones.
* It contains little fat, little carbs and is low in calories which makes it great for those seeking to lose weight or maintain a low carb, low fat or low calorie diet.
* The potassium in bok choy helps the body in its various functions, like regulating heart function, maintaining blood pressure and maintaining electrolyte balance.
* Rich in vitamin C, a natural antioxidant that saves the body from free radicals and removes toxic substances from the body as well.
* The great amounts of calcium resident in bok choy aids in building stronger and healthy bones and teeth.
* It is rich in vitamin A which is essential for maintaining healthy teeth, mucous membranes, skeletal and soft tissues, and skin.
* Bok choy also contains vitamin K which helps the body to coagulate the blood, maintain body density and make the absorption of calcium easier.


Minerals & Vitamins in Chinese Cabbage(Bok Choy)

Potassium - 631 mg
Phosphorus - 49 mg
Magnesium - 19 mg
Calcium - 158 mg
Iron - 1.77 mg
Zinc - 0.29 mg
Copper - 0.032 mg
Manganese - 0.245 mg
Selenium - 0.7 mcg
Sodium - 58 mg
Also contains small amounts of other minerals.


Vitamin C - 44.2 mg
Niacin - 0.728 mg
Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.054 mg
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.107 mg
Pantothenic Acid - 0.134 mg
Vitamin B6 - 0.282 mg
Folate - 70 mcg
Vitamin A - 7223 IU
Vitamin E - 0.15 mg
Vitamin K - 57.8 mcg
Contains some other vitamins in small amounts.

I am continually amazed at the wonders of God's natural foods. Tomorrow God willing, I will share a couple of ways I used the chinese cabbage and recipes I've found.

For more articles on healthy living, raw foods, vegetarian and raw food recipes and more subscribe to the Fruitful Vine Newsletter

healthalternatives2000.com,lifestyle.iloveindia.com

6 comments:

  1. Thanks girlfriend. Glad to see I have been getting all of the benefits from eating bok choy. I recently tried it when I went to the supermarket and could not find our regular cabbage. I was puzzled to some extent because some weeks before I had purchased something called Chinese Cabbage and it was not the same. I was told it was another variety.. I truly believe God has given us everything we need for life and godliness..we always apply this verse in a spiritual context but I believe it is physical as well. Great job!! Keep it coming. God bless and have a splendid day.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thanks girlfriend. Glad to see I have been getting all of the benefits from eating bok choy. I recently tried it when I went to the supermarket and could not find our regular cabbage. I was puzzled to some extent because some weeks before I had purchased something called Chinese Cabbage and it was not the same. I was told it was another variety.. I truly believe God has given us everything we need for life and godliness..we always apply this verse in a spiritual context but I believe it is physical as well. Great job!! Keep it coming. God bless and have a splendid day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to find out how you prepared it. I hope your weekend was good...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jo,
    My weekend was great.  Spent it aboard the Logos Hope Ship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome.  I learned there are different varieties of Chinese Cabbage as well.  And you are so right everything that pertains to LIFE and godliness.  LIFE is the physical part, godliness is the spiritual part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome.  I learned there are different varieties of Chinese Cabbage as well. 
    And you are so right everything that pertains to LIFE and godliness. 
    LIFE is the physical part, godliness is the spiritual part.

    ReplyDelete

Social Share

Disclosure

From time to time I receive a cash payment, gift or item of nominal value from a company affiliated with a brand, topic and/or product that is mentioned herein. (Disclosure link - http://cmp.ly/6/qik5q5)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Infolinks