Click here to shop on Amazon

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Raw Breakfast and A Little More

Raw foods provide a dimension of energy and health that I did not know before. It's been about 8 months or so since we've changed our eating habits as a family. We've been incorporating quite a bit of raw foods into our eating plan. Here is a picture of one of our breakfasts - carrot-raisin slaw with sliced ripe bananas.




My goal is about 75 - 85% raw. I'm taking my time, no rush. Our general eating habits are quite healthy with no meats, dairy, coffee, sodas, refined cereals, white flour, white sugar, chicken bouillon cubes, etc. We eat fish and eggs and all sorts of vegetables, fruits, ground provisions(yams, dasheen, tania(yucca), green bananas), rice, oats, cornmeal, peas, beans.



We use sea salt, curry, tumeric, apple cider vinegar, limes, lots of garlic, onions, thyme, chives, parsley, celery and other herbs to season our foods. We use cinnamon, bay leaf, peppermint leaves, vanilla extract, almond extract and orange peel(thanks Mary) for our teas and as a base flavor for our cooked cereals. Here is one of our fruit snack plates - coconut pieces, prunes, orange wedges, carambola (star fruit) :



I am almost certain I've not mentioned everything we eat but it is becoming more and more natural or raw day by day. There are days when we eat more cooked than what I'd like but that's okay because we are still eating healthfully.  We do take vitamins and supplements and I am researching more and more about different types of herbs for both healing and general health.  We have a book called Little Herb Encyclopedia: The Handbook of Nature's Remedies for a Healthier Life that I continually refer to when seeking herbal remedies.

In another post I'll share what I've been using to replace the chemical laden store bought cleaners and personal care products.





7 comments:

  1. You have my attention. I am in the process of moving my family to a healthier way of eating...with some resistance from my hubby. He's not thrilled about giving up some of his comfort foods. I have found a nutritional supplement called LeVive that my children and hubby love. We are on the road to healthy foods and feeling better with tons of energy. I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy--we may try this for breakfast tomorow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for stopping by, SITS, I love your blog and now I am following you. keep up the great work that you have been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working towards 50% raw with my family as well. Thank you so much for this post. Yummy AND informative! I'm a big fan of ground provisions (as a Jamaican, I can't get away from that), but I'm afraid of the heavy carb factor. But I suspect the increased fruit and veggie intake will take care of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mommy of Many,
    That is an awesome move. Just keep on going and as your hubby continues to experience the health benefits he just might end up being the one pulling you along faster. There are many recipes out there that are substitutes for our various comfort foods. Just google something like 'raw food alternative to (blank)' or similar.

    Hi Alexis,
    Sounds like a very good idea.

    Hi Miss Rowley,
    I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you and welcome to Our Fruitful Vine community. I will add your name to the followers blogroll within the next 24 hours.

    Hi Execumamma,
    That's great that you are working towards more raw with your family. You are welcome and I believe that the increased raw fruits and veggie intake will take care of the heavy carb factor present with ground provisions.

    Thank y'all so much for contributing to this discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by, love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cheryl,
    You're welcome. Thanks for the compliment.

    ReplyDelete

Social Share

Disclosure

From time to time I receive a cash payment, gift or item of nominal value from a company affiliated with a brand, topic and/or product that is mentioned herein. (Disclosure link - http://cmp.ly/6/qik5q5)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Infolinks