Click here to shop on Amazon

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Emergency Preparedness: Power

A storm named Ophelia visited Dominica a couple of weeks ago and left myself and those in my area without electricity and water for a few days.  Thank God we were prepared to a certain extent so we made out great but in assessing what I had on hand I realized that I need to up my game and stock up on more candles, batteries, matches and lighters.  What we had on had was adequate for what we went through and a little extra but not enough for a longer term power outage like a month  - God forbid that should happen.


This month for emergency preparedness Do 1 Thing is focusing on power.  The goal is to be able to safely meet your basic needs during an electrical outage. In light of my assessment during and after Ophelia it's good that this month's focus is on power.

God forbid but should you not have electricity for a few days are you prepared?  I'll be doing what I can this month to increase my longer term readiness for power outages.  What are you going to do?  Are you adequately prepared for a week without power? A month? Or more? Or less?

There is a list of what you can do to be more prepared for a power outage at http://do1thing.com/things/oct.


3 comments:

  1. Jo @ Jo's Health CornerDecember 19, 2012 at 8:38 AM

    Good to hear that you and your family are doing well.
    I need to improve and add more things so that I'm prepared for an emergency. The power went ouf for a few hours this morning which is not unusual up here in the foothills. Sometimes it is gone for days..Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Our Fruitful Vine" has been included in this weeks Sites To See.  I hope this helps to attract many new visitors here.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2011/10/sites-to-see_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenn!  Batteries!  We were without power for 13 days after the recent tornadoes and we didn't have any batteries in the house.  We have since bought A LOT of them to keep on hand for our flash lights.  Glad you were okay! 

    ReplyDelete

Social Share

Disclosure

From time to time I receive a cash payment, gift or item of nominal value from a company affiliated with a brand, topic and/or product that is mentioned herein. (Disclosure link - http://cmp.ly/6/qik5q5)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Infolinks