Here is a simple deep breathing exercise that can be done anywhere at any time. Optimally don't do it in smog and smoke filled environments.
- Sit upright with your back straight. Exhale.
- Breathe in and, at the same time, relax the muscles of your stomach. It should feel like your stomach is being filled with air. You should even see it like it is getting bigger with the air that is filling it.
- After you have done this, keep inhaling. Now feel the middle of your chest beginning to fill up. It should feel like your chest and your rib cage are expanding as well.
- Hold the breath in for a few seconds, then begin to let it out gradually. Do this as slowly as you can.
- As you exhale, relax your chest and rib cage. Pull your stomach in to help the rest of the air to be let out.
- Close your eyes, and focus on your breathing. Ignore all the noises around you and pay attention only to your breathing.
- Do this for approximately 5 minutes.
If you've never done deep breathing exercises before then you should start small and then increase the time up to 5 minutes. For example start by doing this for 1 minute the first week, 2 minutes the second week and so on until you reach the 5 minute mark. I've done this before but not very consistently. I've found that it helps to clear my head and increase my energy levels whenever I do it. I decided that today is the day I begin incorporating this into my early morning routine. I intend to teach our boys to do this every morning when they wake up or at least at some point during the day as well.
Here's to better health for you and your family with deep breathing. And the best part is that it requires no financial investment. With the state of the economy these days that is good news.
For more articles on healthy living, raw foods, vegetarian and raw food recipes and more subscribe to the Fruitful Vine Newsletter.
Visit and like the Fruitful Vine Facebook Page for even more articles and links on healthy living.