Click here to shop on Amazon

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Recipe: Jennifer's Multigrain Pancakes

For years I've used the recipe for 'Favorite Pancakes' from the 1967 edition of the Better Homes & Gardens Bread Cook Book to make wholewheat pancakes for the family. It's been a favorite but as we have been making steps to healthier eating by adding more nuts and seeds I've added different things to it to give us more multigrain goodness. Here is the recipe I did for breakfast today. This is for four batches. I did extra to freeze for later meals when we might be in a hurry.



Jennifer's Multigrain Pancakes


3 3/4 cups wholegrain/wholewheat flour
1 1/4 cups coconut flour(homemade)
1/4 cup baking powder(12 tsp equivalent)
honey(did not measure)
4 tsp salt
1 cup flaxseed meal egg replacer(recipe to follow)
4 cups water
6 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup sesame seeds

Method
Mix all dry ingredients. Add other ingredients. Mix well. Batter may be a bit lumpy. Bake on hot skillet or griddle. Makes about 32 four inch pancakes. Can be more or less depending on the size of pancakes you make.

I served it with a drizzle of agave syrup. Honey can also be used.


Notes/my variations
The original recipe called for milk but since we are off cow's milk and I had no soy milk in the house(by choice for now) I substituted water.

The oils were oils of my choice. I try to use coconut oil in almost everything that I cook. Since we have not made any new batches of the coconut oil yet I used olive oil as well.

The coconut flour was made from the leftover grated coconut that was used to make the coconut oil.

The original recipe also called for sugar but I chose to use honey instead.

The recipe for the flaxseed meal egg replacer will immediately follow this post.

If you try this let me know how it turned out. Feel free to tweak as fit for your family.

My camera is on the fritz so I have no pictures of how mine look. The picture above was found on zazzle.com.

Related post - Recipe: Flaxseed Egg Replacer










No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Share

Disclosure

From time to time I receive a cash payment, gift or item of nominal value from a company affiliated with a brand, topic and/or product that is mentioned herein. (Disclosure link - http://cmp.ly/6/qik5q5)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Infolinks